Frequently Asked Questions About Generac Portable Generators« Back to Buying Guides
- Where are the engines made?
- What is the difference between rated watts and maximum (surge) watts?
- What type of oil is recommended? How often should it be changed?
Above 40°F, use SAE 30. Below 40°F and down to 10°F, use 10W-30. Below 10°F, use synthetic 5W-30. Oil should be changed after the first 8 hours of operation and every 200 hours of run time thereafter.
- What type of gasoline is recommended?
Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline with a minimum 85 octane rating.
- How often should I perform routine maintenance?
The maintenance schedule for your Generac XP Series portable generator is in the owner’s manual.
- Does the portable generator need to be grounded?
Yes. For safety, the generator must be properly grounded. If it’s not grounded, you run the risk of electrocution. We strongly recommend that you check and adhere to all applicable federal, state and local regulations relating to grounding.
- Should the fuel be drained when storing the portable generator for more than 30 days?
Yes. It is highly recommended that you drain the fuel from the tank and run the carburetor dry. OHVI engines meet EPA and CARB regulations and are less tolerant of stale fuel.
- Can I vent the exhaust out of an enclosed area?
No. Never run the generator in the home or an enclosed area. Portable generators are designed to run outside where there is plenty of ventilation.
- Can the generator be used during inclement weather?
Generators can be used during a wide variety of weather temperatures, but should be protected from the elements when not in use to prevent shorting and rusting. NEVER run a generator indoors.
- Where can I purchase parts?
They can be ordered online through Order Tree at www.ordertree.com or by calling (877) 500-7499. Part numbers are located in the owner’s manual.
- I can’t locate my original owner’s manual. How can I get another copy?
Manuals can be found on their perspective model page. They can be downloaded and printed.
- Where do I go to have warranty repairs performed?
Any Authorized Generac dealer can perform warranty service. Generac Authorized Service Centers provide parts, service and information on Generac equipment, regardless of where it was purchased. Authorized Service Centers are staffed with trained technicians certified in supporting all aspects of the Generac portable generator line.